“WARNING: If you smell like bacon, throwing your dog a bone just won’t cut it.”
November 16, 2010 (Des Moines, IA) – Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival, the nation’s premier bacon festival, has attracted an unexpected presenting sponsor, Beggin’ Strips®. “Partnering with Nestlé Purina Pet Care provides us with an opportunity to encourage dog owners to bring home the Beggin’®,” says Brooks Reynolds, co-founder of the festival. Reynolds continues, “If dog owners return home from our festival smelling like bacon, throwing their dog a bone just won’t cut it.”
Stephen Trammell, assistant brand manager, Nestlé Purina Dog Snacks brand pet food, adds, “Bacon lovers come in all shapes and sizes, some have two legs and some have four. Beggin’ Strips® is excited to be a part of next year’s Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival. We want to make sure that people remember how much their furry friends love the taste of bacon. Afterall, Beggin’® is like bacon for dogs.”
The 4th Annual Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival will take place on Saturday, February 26, 2011. Ticket sales will be announced in December. Historically, the festival has doubled in size every year and sold out quickly. With plans to accommodate over 1,500 bacon lovers in 2011 the event has once again doubled in size and will move to Capital Square in downtown Des Moines. The larger space will also allow for more bacon purveyors, live music, comprehensive bacon education and better acoustics for ‘Ohhhhh, Bacon’ cheers.
Last year attendees consumed 1,200 lbs of bacon which is approximately 30,000 strips. If laid end to end that bacon would be 12 times taller than the Empire State Building!
When asked what’s in store for 2011, Reynolds replies, “We found inspiration in the movie, Field of Dreams. And, we’re convinced that if we fry it, they will come.” Reynolds laughs, “I’m sorry. I must stop there. I’ve already said too much.”
About Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival
What started as a groups’ passion for “all things bacon” has evolved into America’s premier bacon festival. In 2001, a group of guys began celebrating bacon during an annual weekend retreat in Spirit Lake, IA. Six years later, they pursued a deeper understanding of their favorite meat by earning “All About Bacon” diplomas from Living History Farms. On March 1st, 2008, officially organized under the Iowa Bacon Board and led by Brooks Reynolds, they went on to found a festival: a festival with the mission of improving the enjoyment of all things bacon by providing education, recognition, advocacy and research on behalf of the masses, everyone, everywhere, all of them. They are serious. Seriously, dudes. Seriously.
About Nestlé Purina Pet Care
Nestlé Purina PetCare promotes responsible pet care, humane education, community involvement and the positive bond between people and their pets. The North American headquarters for Nestlé Purina PetCare is located at Checkerboard Square in St. Louis, Missouri. Nestlé Purina PetCare is part of Swiss-based Nestlé S.A. — the world’s largest food company. For more, visit www.purina.com.
* What – Fourth Annual Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival
* When – Saturday, February 26th, 10am – 4pm
* Where – Capital Square, 400 Locust Street, Des Moines, IA 50309
* Ticket Availability – Date of ticket sales will be announced in December.
* Consumption – Last year attendees consumed 1,200 lbs of bacon which is approximately 30,000 strips. If laid end to end it would be 12 times taller than the Empire State Building!
* Competition – Manni Balignasay is the 3-time Blue Ribbon Bacon Eating Champion in 2008, 2009 & 2010.
* Bacon Showcase – The popular Bacon Showcase provides individuals with the opportunity to sample some of the nation’s best bacon brands and talk directly to brand reps. In previous years the following bacon brands have been showcased: Eden Farms, Falls Brand, Farmland, Hormel, Iowa Farm Families, Niman Ranch, Polehnas, Vande Rose Farms and more.
* Bacon Lecture Series – The Bacon Lecture Series brings together some of the most brilliant bacon minds providing festival attendees with the opportunity to challenge their bacon knowledge and beliefs. Past lecturers include: Jonathan A. Campbell, MS with Iowa State Meat Laboratory, Leo Landis, The Bacon Professor, Scott Bush, Templeton Rye Whiskey
* Iowa Bacon Board – Members of this highly esteemed board include: Suzanne Reynolds Arnold, Seth Hall, Mark Pederson, Marshall Porter, Brad Proctor, John Tiffany and Brooks Reynolds.
* The Mascot – A giant furry pig named, Blue, is the official mascot of the Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival.